MSc Accounting & Finance has been developed in partnership with the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) and prepares you for a successful career in finance and accounting in various business environments.
The MSc in Accounting & Finance (ACCA Route) builds upon your first accounting related degree and offers opportunities to study towards a Master’s degree and, at the same time, prepare you for the ACCA’s professional exams.
About the course
ACCA is one of the world’s leading professional accounting bodies. ACCA has more than 200,000 fully qualified members and 486,000 students in 180 countries worldwide.
This MSc prepares students for the rigours of professional level examinations that are required at the advanced level of the ACCA professional programme.
There are four core modules on the taught element of the Master’s programme:
- Strategic Business Leader (ACCA Route)
- Strategic Business Reporting (ACCA Route)
- Advanced Financial Management (ACCA Route)
- Advanced Performance Management (ACCA Route)
Successful completion of the taught modules allows you to proceed to the Master’s dissertation module.
This can either take the form of a formal, research-informed dissertation, or as an agreed and approved work-based project from which a researched report will be completed.
Teaching & assessment
Through collaboration and group work, students will support each other and share a network of experience in their core module studies.
Academics have the roles of guides/facilitators in the learning, thus encouraging a learning partnership approach.
Problem-solving will be a key element of the learning and teaching approach, with case studies used in the core modules to simulate real-life financial and business scenarios and used to identify, exemplify, analyse and criticise theory and practice of accounting & finance.
UWS’s Virtual Learning Environment (Moodle) will provide additional support materials but students will also have access to the extensive learning tools devised by ACCA for study at the professional level. Learning is supported by our highly qualified and skilled professional accounting and finance team and by excellent materials prepared by both the University and by ACCA.
Assessment (core modules)
- Unseen case study-focused exams: 70%
- Coursework assignments: 30%
The exams will follow the format and style of the ACCA examinations, and you will eligible to sit the relevant ACCA exam following completion of the equivalent Master’s module.
Graduates will have many career options in finance and accounting, including senior management posts, or in industry and commerce e.g. financial accountant, business analyst, financial analyst, treasurer, risk manager, internal auditor, and management accountant. industry and commerce e.g. financial accountant, business analyst, financial analyst, treasurer, risk manager, internal auditor, and management accountant.
Students may wish to fully complete their professional accreditation with ACCA as the primary aim of this programme is to accelerate careers in the accountancy profession.
The ACCA qualification Ultimately leads to professional recognition and, with industry experience, to chartered and certified status. Other progression routes include a research career or further study with an MBA, PhD, or DBA.
What qualifications do you need?
- A Bachelor of Accounting Honours degree (BAcc Hons) at 2:1 classification, or above, or a related Honours degree in Accounting / Finance also at 2:1 classification, or above.
- Applicants must also be in possession of exemptions from the ACCA ‘applied knowledge level’ modules (formerly known as papers F1 to F3) and the ‘applied skills level’ modules (formerly known as F4 to F9), or be in the process of applying for these exemptions. The exemptions must be in place before enrolment on the programme. Evidence of the exemptions must be provided.
English language requirements
For applicants whose first language is not English, the University sets a minimum English language proficiency level. The qualifications below must have been gained within two years of the start of your course.
General English language requirements at UWS: International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic module (not General Training)
- Overall score 6.0
- No sub-test less than 5.5
Common equivalent English language qualifications
All stated English tests are acceptable for admission for both home/EU and international students for this programme:
- CAE (Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English): 176 overall; no sub-test less than 169
- CPE (Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English): 176 overall; no sub-test less than 169
- Trinity College London Integrated Skills in English: ISEII with the minimum of a Pass in all sub-tests
- PTE Pearson Academic English: An overall score of 54 with no element below 51 (for programmes that require IELTS 6.0 with no element below 5.5). An overall score 61 with no element below 51 (for programmes that require IELTS 6.5 with no element below 6.0)
The course is of 1 year’s duration (full-time) and has an intake in September.
Fees for 2020/21
International (non-EU) Students
The programme fees include the costs of a package of ACCA-focused professional training materials relating to each of the four core modules and payment of one sitting of each of the four core ACCA professional exams covered in this programme.
All students should apply directly to the University through our online application system. Before you apply, you should check that you meet our entry requirements and you should have all your supporting documents ready.
The first stage of the process is to create a profile; you don’t have to complete the application in one session – you can complete it in stages by saving each section and return to complete it at a later date.
You will need to upload documents with your applications, which may include transcripts and degree certificates.
Most courses don’t have a formal closing date, but they will close when they are full; apply early to avoid disappointment. There may also be funding deadlines that apply to you.
Before you begin your application, it is important to read the application step-by-step guide for a smooth process.
Table of Contents
Enquire with us
Once you have read about us, picked your chosen course and understood how to apply please complete our enquiry form by using the relevent button below, and one of our advisers will get back to you as soon as possible.
Information to explain how you can apply and make your UWS application as smooth as possible for all our courses.