New & Current Students

If you have just been accepted to study at UWS London, there are a lot of relevant information you should read before starting your university journey. It’s important to remember that we have student support available throughout your time with us, check out what is available to new and current students.

Enrolment information for January 2022

January 2022 Induction Schedules

Advice for returning students

We are looking forward to welcoming you onto the London campus. Please be assured that our key priority is the health, safety and wellbeing of all our students. In line with UK government guidelines, we will continue to provide large class teaching online, however, Covid-secure small group teaching and tutorials will be offered on campus, together with academic skills and employability workshops. All face-to-face activities will be Covid secure and ensure that public health guidelines are followed.

We are asking all students to follow these three steps:

TEST – if you are coming onto campus, we ask you to first take a Covid-19 test. You can book a slot in your local authority testing centre by using this site. If you live near to the campus, testing is offered by Tower Hamlets at Burcham Street Community centre, Canary Wharf and Tramshed Community Centre, and you can book a test through this site. You will be expected to show that you have a negative test result within the previous 24 hours when you come onto the campus.

CHECK IN – when you arrive and leave the campus, check in through the Safezone app. You can download this from any app store and sign in with your University credentials. This app helps keep you safe while on any of our campuses and allows quick and reliable safety notifications to be sent, such as Covid-19 updates. The app is now available to download from the App Store or Google Play.

TRACK – we advise you download and use the NHS coronavirus contact-tracing. The app is available from any app store (Apple and Android).

These steps are part of our continued UWS Covid Commitment, in which we ask all members of the UWS community to commit to taking personal responsibility for their role in ensuring our campuses are safe and welcoming environments, including observing social distancing, wearing face coverings and to continue to support the safe operation of our London campus. When planning your journey, we recommend that you use the Transport for London safer travel site. For further information, please see the main UWS site.

Hybrid Learning Model

What to expect from UWS London experience? All programmes at the London Campus will be delivered using a flexible hybrid learning model that will combine on-campus engagement with an interactive, technology-supported experience, in line with national government guidelines. Find out more on our website.

Safe and Welcoming Campus

Access to our campuses throughout Academic Year 2020/21 will be dependent on the current government guidance. The latest information on campus access is available here and you can also find out more about our guidance and protocols for accessing campuses, when this is possible, on the safe and welcoming campuses pages of our website. 

Safe Zone App

The safety and wellbeing of students and staff is our top priority at UWS. We have introduced a new free smartphone app that promotes staff and student safety across all of our campuses. Find out more about Safe Zone.

Online Platforms

The majority of our activities are taking place on Microsoft Teams, with some available through Zoom.

All UWS students are provided with a Microsoft Office 365 account. This includes your student email account and access to the full range of Microsoft software and applications, such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, OneDrive and much more. You can access this via MyDay.

You can find advice on how to use Teams on the Microsoft support website and Zoom through their support site.

We’ve also created a helpful video on best practice for using Microsoft Teams to attend your online lectures.

If you have any questions you can contact us at or through our support portal.

There is also a range of information on digital skills and support that you can access from our website.

How to study in the British Academic System

When you get to the UK as an international student, studying may seem very different to studying at home. The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) provides relevant information for you to succeed in your studies in the UK. It is a must read for any new international student.

Stay Safe Out and About

  • Go out with a group of friends, and make sure you have a plan for getting home
  • Don’t leave your drink unattended
  • Ensure your mobile phone has enough charge to last the night
  • Use only licensed taxis, with the proper signage
  • Be aware of how much you’re drinking – be sure you remain able to enjoy yourself without being unable to look after yourself
  • Keep an emergency £10 for unexpected events – for example, if you lose your purse.

British Council Guides

The Safety First Guide aims to make your visit to the UK safe and enjoyable. It highlights some of the safety and security issues you will need to be aware of, offers sensible advice and lists organisations to contact if you need help.

The Creating Confidence Guide  is designed to help you prepare for your stay in the UK and give you practical advice about living and studying in the UK.

Biometric Residence Permit

A Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) is a document in the shape of a credit card issued by the Home Office and provides evidence of your immigration permission (also known as permission to enter or remain). If you arrive in the UK with a 30 or 90 day vignette (sticker) in your passport, you will need to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card from the designated Post Office listed on your letter within 10 days of arrival. If you are not able to collect your BRP within 10 days (for example, you are required to self-isolate for 10 days on arrival in the UK), your BRP will be kept at the Post Office for you to collect as soon as permits.

For information on collecting your BRP once in the UK, please download our BRP guide.

Police registration

The condition to register with the police is given to people of certain nationalities who come to the UK for more than 6 months as outlined in Appendix 2 of the Immigration Rules. If you need to register with the police, the condition will be printed on your 30-day vignette, or if you have been granted leave to remain following an application made in the UK, it will be on your BRP.

If you need to register, you must go to the police within 7 days of you:

  • arriving in the UK if you applied for a visa from outside the UK
  • getting your biometric residence permit if you applied to stay for longer from inside the UK

After you register

The police will give you a registration certificate. Keep it while your visa or permission to stay in the UK lasts so that you can:

  • prove that you’re registered with the police
  • tell the police if your details change
  • return to the UK if you travel
  • apply to stay for longer in the UK

Further information on registering with the police can be found in our registering with the police guide.

Students within the UK

On 5 October 2020, the Tier 4 (general) student visa was replaced with the Student visa route. You can find comprehensive information on applying for a student visa from within the UK at the UKCISA website.

In addition, you can find details about applying for a Student visa from within the UK by downloading our step by step guide here.


All the campuses are no smoking areas. No one is allowed to smoke anywhere within the campuses, including buildings, grounds and vehicles.

This also applies to e-cigarettes and other electronic nicotine dispensing systems.

The smoking policy is enforced by security and other staff. It’s supported by the university code of discipline for students.

Reporting an accident

It’s important to record any accident in the university or in university accommodation or activities such as field trips. Report accidents through your department office or directly to

First aid

There are trained first aiders on all the Scottish campuses. If you need first aid for yourself or someone else, call 0141 848 3505.

Give full details of where you are, including your campus, what the injury is and how serious it is. A first aider will come to you.

Keep calm and keep the injured person calm. Don’t let them leave until seen by the first aider. If you think that an ambulance is needed, ask for one when you request first aid.

If you’re unwell

If you or someone else is unwell, and you’re unable to get to a GP, you can call the NHS 24 helpline free on 111

Ask a pharmacy if you’re feeling unwell and need help finding the best medicine – it’s usually quicker than a GP appointment

NHS Inform has information on health conditions and tips for self-care.


You must only use the 999 number to call the emergency services when, for example, a life is at risk, a life-threatening accident, a crime is in progress or to report a fire. The emergency operator will ask for your name, address and the type of emergency.

When it's not an emergency, but you need assistance

101 is the non-emergency contact number for any police force in England and Wales and it is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Using this number can reduce pressure on the 999 system, allowing the police to prioritise emergency calls. You should call 101 if you want to talk to your local police officer, get crime prevention advice, or report a crime that does not need an emergency response, for example:

  • your car has been stolen
  • your property has been damaged
  • you suspect drug use or dealing
  • you want to report a hate crime or incident
  • you want to report a minor traffic accident, or
  • you want to give the police information about crime in your area

Things not going well?

There are many ways in which the University can help you get the most out of your student experience. If you feel things aren’t going well, either with your course or within your personal life, please talk to us for advice and support. 

Enquire with us

We are here to help and to make your journey to UWS London as smooth as possible. Please use the relevant button below to enquiry about a course you would like to apply, to clarify any doubt you may have about us and our admission’s process, to send us a complaint or suggestion. After you submit your enquiry, one of our advisers will get back to you as soon as possible.

Application guide

Information to explain how you can apply and make your UWS application as smooth as possible for all our courses.



VISA, Immigration
and ATAS