Why study MSc Information Technology at UWS London?
Learn from business IT professionals and academics
Our teaching team will prepare you for a range of business IT careers.
Study in one of the world’s favourite university cities
London is consistently voted one of the best international study destinations.
Develop IT skills without previous experience
This course has been designed for students with degrees in a non-computing subject who are looking to develop highly sought-after business IT knowledge and skills.
Take your career to the next level
97% of UWS graduates are in work or further study within 6 months of graduation (DHLE 2016/17).
Areas of study will include subjects such as:
- Database design
- Project management fundamentals
- Mobile business technology and design
- Ethics for the IT professional
- Technologies for Business Intelligence
You will also undertake an individual Masters project on a topic of your interest either in the University, or, where possible, within an organisation.
This course and the modules are going through a validation process as part of UWS’s commitment to keep the courses relevant and future proof. The final list of the course modules will be available after the completion of the validation process.
What is MSc Information Technology all about?
This specialist qualification will prepare you for a business IT career at an advanced level. Expand your knowledge of the latest technological developments and gain the skills needed to apply effective IT-driven solutions in the world of business.
This programme has been designed for students with degrees in a non-computing subject who are looking to develop highly sought-after business IT knowledge and skills. Our teaching team will equip you with the industry insight and proficiencies you need to launch your career as an IT professional. You will learn how to design and implement high value IT-driven solutions within organisations of all sizes — from SMEs right up to large global firms.
You’ll examine issues, trends, current practices and emerging technologies in the field of business IT, and learn how to apply your learning in real-world scenarios. You’ll develop the skills and personal capabilities needed to add real value to an organisation, helping them achieve business objectives through the use of technology.
- Learn how to develop, introduce and manage IT systems and projects to support business
- Gain a deep understanding of database and network technologies
- Develop key personal skills, such as effective communication with stakeholders
- Learn how to apply theory and knowledge to improve organisational efficiencies
Where will this course take me?
Studying MSc Information Technology can open doors to a range of fulfilling careers in business IT including database development, data analytics and IT project management. Graduates may go on to work as IT consultants, IT systems developers, database developers, e-business specialists and more.
Our alumni have progressed into successful careers at organisations including Agrekko, IBM, CAP-Gemini, Amazon, Atos, Dell and Adobe Systems, as well as many dynamic small and mid-sized businesses.
If you decide to take your studies further, you have the option to progress to a research degree (MPhil/PhD). Additionally, the IT Academy of the School of Computing offers pathways to go on to learn specific technical skills through programmes with Microsoft, Cisco, Oracle, SAP and others.
Whichever route you choose and whatever your goal, our team at UWS London are here to support and guide you to success in your business IT career.
Our students and graduates rate UWS 90% for overall satisfaction (International Student Barometer 2018/Student Barometer Graduate survey).
Who is this course for?
- Graduates looking for a career in business IT
- Professionals with relevant business/technology experience looking to take their career to the next level
Why study Information Technology?
Technology is an essential part of most modern businesses, giving organisations the tools they need to work better, smarter and more efficiently. Studying information technology at this advanced level opens up an incredible number of career options for graduates, enabling you to enter technology-related roles at a higher level, with a higher salary and greater responsibility.
An MSc is the perfect next step for graduates from other disciplines looking to move into a career in business IT, or industry professionals looking to boost their career prospects. This programme will equip you with the vital technical knowledge, practical business skills and personal capabilities you need to move seamlessly into the working world of business IT.
Teaching is through a mixture of lectures, tutorials and hands-on laboratory sessions.
You will be assessed using a variety of methods which include examination, coursework and dissertation. These ensure that you have gained the core skills, hands-on experience, including working in a team, required by industry.
You will normally be expected to have at least one of the following:
- A Bachelor’s (Hons) degree from a UK University or an equivalent qualification from an overseas institution in a non-IT or computing related subject, or a modest academic background in IT or computing
- A professional qualification recognised as being equivalent to a Bachelors Honours Degree;
- Have gained equivalent experience in business or industry.
Applicants with an Honours BSc or BA degree in the following (or related) disciplines are encouraged to apply: Business, Engineering, Applied Sciences, Pure/Formal Sciences, Social Sciences, Medical & Health Sciences, Life Sciences, Sports Science, Humanities.
For applicants whose first language is not English, the University sets a minimum English language proficiency level. The qualifications below must have been gained within two years of the start of your course.
General English language requirements at UWS: International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic module (not General Training):
- Overall score 6.0
- No sub-test less than 5.5
Common equivalent English language qualifications
All stated English tests are acceptable for admission for both home/EU and international students for this programme:
- CAE (Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English): 176 overall; no sub-test less than 169
- CPE (Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English): 176 overall; no sub-test less than 169
- Trinity College London Integrated Skills in English: ISEII with the minimum of a Pass in all sub-tests
- PTE Pearson Academic English: An overall score of 54 with no element below 51 (for programmes that require IELTS 6.0 with no element below 5.5). An overall score 61 with no element below 51 (for programmes that require IELTS 6.5 with no element below 6.0)
At the time of writing, the course fees for September 2021 onwards may be subject to revision.
This course is currently going through validation checks for London Campus delivery and is subject to change.
Table of Contents
Enquire with us
Once you have read about us, picked your chosen course and understood how to apply please complete our enquiry form by using the relevent button below, and one of our advisers will get back to you as soon as possible.
Information to explain how you can apply and make your UWS application as smooth as possible for all our courses.