Our internationally respected Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree reflects the evolving nature of business and the global challenges facing business leaders.
Our MBA will develop your:
- Strategic analytical skills
- Business intuition
- Enquiring and adaptive thinking
Essential core business knowledge and understanding is provided, alongside a strong emphasis on developing the applied managerial skills vital for effective business leaders.
The selection of option modules offers one of five specialist areas: finance, leadership, enterprise, health service management or risk management.
This MBA produces high-calibre graduates who can effectively respond to unpredictable challenges in globally competitive business environments.
Your communication, negotiation and facilitating skills will be nurtured and enhanced.
About the course
The MBA programme is supported by its own virtual learning environment – the MBA Online World which provides access to MBA core text and allows students to study online with their peers.
Our MBA course is world-leading in its pedagogical approach in vicarious learning where students identify contemporary business practices and relate these back to theories and concepts. Key to this is peer-to-peer learning and the sharing of professional and business experience, reasoning and reflection. In doing so, we believe that this provides an integrated approach to understanding the role of the business functions and the challenges faced by the discontinuous business landscape.
The use of practical examples and case studies enables the UWS MBA graduates to develop the skills needed to be successful managers.
There are no exams in the UWS MBA, only coursework. The MBA team believe in producing graduates who can do, not graduates who can only remember.
Our Strategic Business Project module (60 credits) gives our students the flexibility to do a traditional dissertation, or in-company research or a business plan. Graduating from the MBA you will be able to effectively respond to unpredictable challenges in globally competitive business environments.
A recognised innovative feature of our MBA programme is the fact it is supported by its own virtual learning environment – the MBA Online World which provides access to MBA core text and allows students to study online and interact freely with their peers.
For the Postgraduate Diploma (PgDip) stage, you will study the following core modules:
- Integration of Business Functions (core, 10 credits)
- Analytical Thinking and Decision Making (core, 20 credits)
- Managing Organisational Health (core, 20 credits)
- Influencing Organisational Strategy (core, 20 credits)
To complete the PgDip, you will require to successfully pass another 30 credits made up from optional modules which include:
- Leading Change (optional, 10 credits)
- Influencing Organisational Culture and Change (optional, 10 credits)
- Business Creativity (optional, 10 credits)
- New Venture Creation (optional, 10 credits)
- Advanced Financial Functions (optional, 10 credits)
- Global Finance (optional, 10 credits)
- Risk and Resilience Management (optional, 20 credits)
Successful completion of the PgDip allows you to proceed to the Master’s dissertation module:
- MBA Strategic Business Project/Dissertation (core to MBA, 60 credits)
This module gives you the option to undertake a traditional, research-based dissertation, or an in-company research investigation/business plan development.
What qualifications do you need?
You will normally be expected to satisfy at least one of the following admission requirements:
- Have a degree awarded by an appropriate institution
- Have a postgraduate award (passed at an appropriate level)
- Have an appropriate professional qualification such as those from ACCA or CIMA
- Have passed a pre-Master’s, or other foundation course
- Be a mature student with relevant work or professional experience
You may also be considered with other academic, vocational or professional qualifications deemed equivalent.
English language requirements
For applicants whose first language is not English, the University sets a minimum English language proficiency level. The qualifications below must have been gained within two years of the start of your course.
General English language requirements at UWS: International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic module (not General Training):
- Overall score 6.0
- No sub-test less than 5.5
Common equivalent English language qualifications
All stated English tests are acceptable for admission for both home/EU and international students for this programme:
- CAE (Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English): 176 overall; no sub-test less than 169
- CPE (Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English): 176 overall; no sub-test less than 169
- Trinity College London Integrated Skills in English: ISEII with the minimum of a Pass in all sub-tests
- PTE Pearson Academic English: An overall score of 54 with no element below 51 (for programmes that require IELTS 6.0 with no element below 5.5). An overall score of 61 with no element below 51 (for programmes that require IELTS 6.5 with no element below 6.0)
The course is of 1 year’s duration (full-time) and has intakes in Sep/Jan/May.
Fees for 2020/21
International (non-EU) Students
A joint pre-sessional English/MBA option is also offered at £16,200.
All students should apply directly to the University through our online application system. Before you apply, you should check that you meet our entry requirements and you should have all your supporting documents ready.
The first stage of the process is to create a profile; you don’t have to complete the application in one session – you can complete it in stages by saving each section and return to complete it at a later date.
You will need to upload documents with your applications, which may include transcripts and degree certificates.
Most courses don’t have a formal closing date, but they will close when they are full; apply early to avoid disappointment. There may also be funding deadlines that apply to you.
Before you begin your application, it is important to read the application step-by-step guide for a smooth process.
Table of Contents
Enquire with us
Once you have read about us, picked your chosen course and understood how to apply please complete our enquiry form by using the relevent button below, and one of our advisers will get back to you as soon as possible.
Information to explain how you can apply and make your UWS application as smooth as possible for all our courses.