Why study MSc Information Technology at UWS London?
Learn from business IT professionals and academics
Our teaching team will prepare you for a range of business IT careers.
Study in one of the world’s favourite university cities
London is consistently voted one of the best international study destinations.
Develop IT skills without previous experience
This course has been designed for students with degrees in a non-computing subject who are looking to develop highly sought-after business IT knowledge and skills.
Take your career to the next level
97% of UWS graduates are in work or further study within 6 months of graduation (DHLE 2016/17).
The course consists of a combination of core and specialisation-option modules.
Core Modules (students must complete the following four modules):
- Business Data Communication and Networks (20 credits)
- Database Design and Implementation for Business (20 credits)
- Information Systems Analysis and Design (20 credits)
- Masters Project (60 credits)
Specialist Pathway Modules (students must complete two of the following pathway modules):
- Data Analysis and Visualisation (20 credits)
- Data Mining and Business Intelligence (20 credits)
- Information Technology Project Management (20 credits)
- Enterprise Architecture (20 credits)
Recommended Optional Modules (students must complete one recommended option):
- IT Strategy and Management (20 credits)
- Object Orientated Programming (20 credits)
- Work Based Learning* (20 credits)
* To be eligible to undertake this module, it is expected that a student would already be in the workplace and a tripartite agreement would exist between the company, student, and University prior to enrolment.
Successful completion of the PgDip will allow you to proceed to the MSc Dissertation module, entailing detailed research and critical analysis of a specific project:
- MSc Dissertation (60 Credits)
Our MSc Information Technology course employs face to face large and small group delivery and activities supported by the use of Moodle. Small group tutorials are favoured as they are key to the development of behavioural and effective competencies. These are the competencies needed by employers, to develop reflective IT practitioners engaging in purposeful activity for the benefit of the business or organisation.
Teaching is through a mixture of lectures, tutorials and hands-on laboratory sessions.
Your assessment will take the form of:
- Formal examinations
What is MSc Information Technology all about?
Our MSc Information Technology will prepare you for a business IT career at an advanced level. Expand your knowledge of the latest technological developments and gain the skills needed to apply effective IT-driven solutions in the world of business.
This specialist qualification is ideal if you have a degree in a subject other than IT or computing and would like to develop much sought after business-relevant IT knowledge and skills. Our teaching team will equip you with the industry insight and proficiencies you need to launch your career as an IT professional. You will learn how to design and implement high value IT-driven solutions within organisations of all sizes — from SMEs right up to large global firms.
The programme will examine issues, trends, current practices and technological alternatives in the field of business Information Technology and provides you with up-to-date technological and business skills, and specialist knowledge to help you design and/or implement appropriate, IT-driven solutions in ways that address the needs of modern business organisations.
You will learn how to…
- Develop, introduce and manage IT systems and projects to support business
- Analyse, design, deploy, utilise and manage business-relevant IT-based systems and services.
- Gain a deep understanding of database and network technologies
- Develop key personal skills, such as effective communication with stakeholders
- Apply theory and knowledge to improve organisational efficiencies
Where will this course take me?
Studying MSc Information Technology can open doors to a range of fulfilling careers in business IT including database development, data analytics and IT project management. Graduates may go on to work as IT consultants, IT systems developers, database developers, e-business specialists and more.
Our alumni have progressed into successful careers at organisations including Agrekko, IBM, CAP-Gemini, Amazon, Atos, Dell and Adobe Systems, as well as many dynamic small and mid-sized businesses.
If you decide to take your studies further, you have the option to progress to a research degree (MPhil/PhD). Additionally, the IT Academy of the School of Computing offers pathways to go on to learn specific technical skills through programmes with Microsoft, Cisco, Oracle, SAP and others.
Whichever route you choose and whatever your goal, our team at UWS London are here to support and guide you to success in your business IT career.
Our students and graduates rate UWS 90% for overall satisfaction (International Student Barometer 2018/Student Barometer Graduate survey).
Who is this course for?
- Graduates looking for a career in business IT
- Business and technology professionals who desire to equip themselves with fresh technology expertise and business capabilities
- Professionals with relevant experience looking to acquire specialist knowledge to help them design and/or implement appropriate, IT driven solutions in ways that address the needs of modern business organisations
Upon completion, you would be equipped to seek employment as an IT Consultant, IT Project Manager, IT Systems Developer, e-Business Specialist, and so forth. Our graduates are enjoying careers at companies such as Agrekko, IBM, CAP-Gemini, Amazon, Atos, Adobe Systems, HP, Dell, NHS, Clydesdale Bank and other SMEs.
Why study Information Technology?
Technology is an essential part of most modern businesses, giving organisations the tools they need to work better, smarter and more efficiently. Studying information technology at this advanced level opens up an incredible number of career options for graduates, enabling you to enter technology-related roles at a higher level, with a higher salary and greater responsibility.
An MSc is the perfect next step for graduates from other disciplines looking to move into a career in business IT, or industry professionals looking to boost their career prospects. This programme will equip you with the vital technical knowledge, practical business skills and personal capabilities you need to move seamlessly into the working world of business IT.
You should hold an Honours degree or equivalent (minimum 2:2 classification) from a non-it or computing related subject, or a modest academic background in IT or computing. Applicants with an Honours BSc or BA degree in the following (or related) disciplines are encouraged to apply: Business, Engineering, Applied Sciences, Pure/Formal Sciences, Social Sciences, Medical & Health Sciences, Life Sciences, Sports Science, Humanities.
You will normally be expected to have at least one of the following:
- A degree awarded by an appropriate institution
- A postgraduate award (passed at an appropriate level)
- Passed a Pre Master’s programme at relevant level
- Relevant work or professional experience
Where candidates do not meet the standard entry requirement, they must demonstrate that they have sufficient relevant professional or practice-based experience to undertake their chosen programme of study. They may be admitted to the programme at the discretion of the programme Admissions Officer/Programme Leader.
For applicants whose first language is not English, the University sets a minimum English language proficiency level. The qualifications below must have been gained within two years of the start of your course.
General English language requirements at UWS: International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic module (not General Training):
- Overall score 6.0
- No sub-test less than 5.5
Common equivalent English language qualifications
All stated English tests are acceptable for admission for both home/EU and international students for this programme:
- CAE (Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English): 176 overall; no sub-test less than 169
- CPE (Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English): 176 overall; no sub-test less than 169
- Trinity College London Integrated Skills in English: ISEII with the minimum of a Pass in all sub-tests
- PTE Pearson Academic English: An overall score of 59 to 64 with no element below 59 (for programmes that require IELTS 6.0 with no element below 5.5). An overall score 65 to 75 with no element below 65 (for programmes that require IELTS 6.5 with no element below 6.0)
For further information on English Language qualifications accepted click here.
For applicants who do not meet the minimum English language requirements above, there is an option to apply for the pre-sessional English language programme combined with chosen degree programme. Find out more here.
1 Year – Full-time
Intakes in January, May and September
Scottish — £11,750
Rest of UK & Northern Ireland — £11,750
International & EU — £15,250
Apply now through our online application system. Before applying, you should check that you meet our entry requirements, and you should have all your supporting documents ready.
The first step is to create a profile. Then, after submitting your completed application, you will be required to upload your supporting documents listed in our documents checklist page.
Most courses don’t have a formal closing date, but they will close when they are full; apply early to avoid disappointment.
Alternatively, if you would like further information or guidance, enquire with us to speak with one of our admissions advisers.
Table of Contents
Enquire with us
We are here to help and to make your journey to UWS London as smooth as possible. Please use the relevant button below to enquiry about a course you would like to apply, to clarify any doubt you may have about us and our admission’s process, to send us a complaint or suggestion. After you submit your enquiry, one of our advisers will get back to you as soon as possible.
Information to explain how you can apply and make your UWS application as smooth as possible for all our courses.